Saturday 4 August 2012

Sweating my thorns off (in winter)

I have had my eye on the Boring Runner's 3rd Annual Sweat Your Thorns Off virtual race for a while now, but I didn't know if I'd even be capable of running this weekend.

This was my second ever virtual race-  I think they are a brilliant way of building a community of runners and supporting other runners to achieve their best. So thanks Adam for arranging this one. I was lacking motivation for yesterday's run, and it was only remembering that I had entered the SYTO race that got me out of bed!



I combined my run with this week's Gindy parkrun. Free, timed and 5km, exactly what I needed for Sweating my Thorns Off. Of course, it is winter here in Canberra, and the previous week's parkrun had been run in sub-zero temperatures, but I always sweat, and knew I would have no problems sweating my thorns off. Imagine my surprise to wake to a sunny and balmy 5 degrees! I was actually a bit worried about layering my compression socks and long tights together. Sweating would not be a problem at all!

There was a good turnout, almost 60 runners this week. With my series of injuries this would only be my second run on this course, and the last time I had run it, I was nearly delirious from the cold. Prior to my oblique tear I had been running really strongly. Speed training was paying off; my pace was improving without feeling like I was working harder. I really wanted to run faster than my previous parkrun time (27.10) but I didn't know if it was a realistic goal or just a pipe dream.



Whenever I run I like to get off to a slow start and finish strong, but I really wanted to beat a girl running in denim overalls! I took off faster than I wanted but just had to get past her! It felt uncomfortable, I was certainly working hard, and I walked between two light posts at the top of a hill, but I finished in 26.25! So a 45 second parkrun PB for me (and after 4 weeks off running with an injury!) and only 30 seconds from my 5km PB. Getting under 25 minutes is my 5km goal for the year, so here's hoping!


girl running in overalls




dan and me; crossing the finish line


No comments:

Post a Comment