Friday 10 August 2012

It was the night before city to surf...


It's actually 2 nights before my first ever City 2 Surf, and I am feeling very nervous. One of my work friends is also racing, and we have been exchanging terrified looks all week! We did use carbo loading as an excuse to each corn chips at a birthday afternoon tea on Wednesday though so not all bad :)

The forecast for Sunday is daunting too; cold, very windy and possibly raining. I think I will be running Heartbreak Hill straight into a headwind. I stopped off on my way home to pick up a cheap jumper to wear to the start; I wonder how much of the race I will wear it for?

I'll be meeting my running group at lunch time tomorrow to drive to Sydney together. Before then I have to get my gear together, update my running playlist and finish a uni assignment! Argh.

I'm going into the race much more poorly prepared than I anticipated I'd be when I signed up. Problems with my pesky right calf, a sprained ankle and then four weeks off with a torn oblique means the furthest I have run in about 2 months is around 8km. I have maintained some level of fitness; I have improved my 5km time by about 45 seconds since June, but I have no idea how I am going to go over 14km.

I am trying to remind myself that I have been injured; to have fun and enjoy it, but my self talk is not helping the nerves!

No comments:

Post a Comment