Wednesday 6 June 2012

Happy (Inter)National Running Day

What a fabulous day to start blogging about running. I have failed twice trying to maintain a blog. One was a general day to day blog, the other the cooking blog linked to this running one. This time it will be different!

I have entered the City 2 Surf, and I am training with a running group. I joined a group several years ago when I got back to running after a knee reconstruction and I know that the accountability of a group will keep me on track. I've always wanted to run the City 2 Surf, but I've been daunted by the size of the run (about 85,000 participants), and the reputation of Heartbreak Hill. When my gym organised a small running group to train for the run, I was there! I am planning to run the Sydney Running Festival half marathon five weeks later.

I'm not new to running; I took it up about ten years ago while starting university. A couple of serious injuries (a second knee reconstruction and a series of calf tears), work and study all had a negative impact, and I hardly ran at all in 2011. I have run two half marathons and a dozen or so races between 5 and 10kms, but I am a plodder. A couple of injuries While slow and steady will get me over the finish line, I am ready to push myself and see what I am capable of. 

So I hope that this blog will help me to improve my running. I want to keep track of my training runs and mileage, so I'll post about my runs. I want to maintain my motivation, so I'll keep reading the running blogs that have been inspiring me lately and if I inspire anyone else to run, that's a bonus!

Today's run was short; I sprained my left ankle Monday, and today I wanted to test it out. A very slow 10 minute run on the treadmill was all I could manage while maintaining reasonable form. I also completed a circuit style cross-training class with my running group during the day, boy do burpees put stress the ankle!

No comments:

Post a Comment